1.2.07

Popular show, 'negative stereotypes'!

Things this week are going fine so far, I'm helping to film a bunch of super healthy yoga teachers talk about what they would do if they knew they had a year left to live (the irony). I spent the day at home with mel watching a documentary called "THE POWER OF MYTH", it's basically Joseph Cambell getting interviewed for 6 hours straight. It's pretty interesting, places myth and storytelling at the heart of higher human experience / enlightenment as the heroes journey, etc etc. We stopped after 3 hours, all the talk about the hero's journey made me want to play video games (as most things do).

So I guess this post isn't so much about Hong Kong...Franky just informed me a few minutes ago that my roommates and friends: Nick, David, and Alex made it on to the cover of the Daily Pennsylvanian (Penn's Newspaper) along with the rest of our living room. Here's the picture:
Seeing the living room with those guys in it makes me miss home even more. It's funny, and sort of sad, knowing that life is continuing as usual back in the apartment where I was living just a month ago. Everything looks the same, the street sign, orange couch, the fake eames chair, the naked photos of that girl whose name I'm not going to put here, nick's crazy converse. Even though I'm having a great time here, there is a part of me that would have really liked to spend this last term with everyone back at Penn. I really do miss everyone a lot, I know mel does too. She's actually been mulling over the idea of going back early for a job she really wants. I guess we'll see what happens...However, for me, having sent my visa application in yesterday - I can't help but feel like I've really committed to staying for the next 6 months. I don't think all the cool stuff that's happening here for me (making video games, eating lots of rice, and taking table tennis lessons) could ever replace everyone and everything back home. So don't worry I'm not here to stay. It's funny, when I'm at home I'm pretty cynical about America, and everything it stands for. But over here, my perspective is different, I think my table tennis coach Eric put it the best when he said: "America? It's Great!". Simple as that.

So if you're reading this, you're great too, and I miss you. I guess the moral of the story is that no matter where you go in life, chances are you'll probably be a little sad that your not somewhere else entirely.

goodnight
-Mish

ps: I edited one of the photos in the previous post, so scroll down and check it out.

3 comments:

Nick Sunshine said...

Life's continuing back here, but it's nowhere near the same as when you guys were around. It's not bad or anything, of course, but I miss you crazy bastards and that particular flavor of mayhem we always get up to when we're in the same city.

Six months isn't that bad though; there'll still be plenty of hell to raise and mad art to be made as long as we're all still alive.

arielle said...

you are missed.

Anonymous said...

we miss you, too.